CHAPTER 3 - QUESTIONS FOR STUDY
1. Show from key Bible verses the difference between church membership and country club membership.
Giving vs. Receiving
Serving vs. Being Served
Responsibilities vs. Rights
Sacrifices vs. Entitlements
2. Find and explain key passages in the Bible that talk about Christians being servants. How would you describe a servant as it applies to being a member of a church?
3. Why do many churches have "worship wars"? What does that have to do with the right or wrong attitude about church membership?
4. Describe someone in your church who best fits the description of having the mind of Christ. Find key New Testament passages that would fit him or her.
5. Go verse by verse through Philippians 2:5-11. Explain how the attitude of Christ in each verse becomes a pattern for us as church members.
Applicable Bible verses Ch. 3 Questions
1. Church Membership vs. Country Club Membership
- Giving: 1 Chron. 29:9, Matt. 6:19-21, Luke 6:38, John 3:16, Acts 20:35, 2 Cor. 9:6-8
- Serving: Matt. 6:24, Luke 22:27, John 12:26, Eph. 6:6-8, Col. 3:23-24, Heb. 6:10
- Responsibilities: Ezra 10:4, 2 Cor. 5:10, Gal. 6:5, Col. 3:23, 1 Tim. 5:8
- Sacrifices: Matt. 19:21,Luke 18:28-30, 1 Cor. 9:19-23, 2 Cor. 8:1-5, Phil. 3:8
2. Biblical References to Servants
- Prov. 11:25
- Matt. 20:26
- Mk. 10:42-45
- John 12:26
- Eph. 6:6-8
- Col. 3:23-24
- Heb. 6:10
4. Mind of Christ Descriptive Biblical Passages
- Eph. 4:32
- Phil. 2:3-8
- Titus 2:2
- Titus 2:4
- Titus 2:6
5. Attitude of Christ - Phil. 2:5-11 (ESV):
5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,[a] 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant,[b] being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.